Sunday, October 04, 2015

Blue Lagoon


Reykjavik is located only two degrees south of the Arctic Circle, which means that in summer it gets over twenty hours - twenty! - of sunlight. This was decidedly good news for me because I am the sort of traveller who tries to pack more activities than is humanly possible into an itinerary. Partly it boils down to the desire to make the most of my holidays, but also there is a certain adrenaline rush that keeps me energised throughout the trip. I went slightly crazy in Greenland where the sun didn't set... but that's a story for another day.

On what must have been our third day in Iceland - the fleeting nights made the day time hours seem conjoined - we rode horses in the morning, visited Geysir, Gullfoss and Thingvellir in the afternoon, and wound up the evening at the Blue Lagoon.


After a long day it was amazing to soak in the geothermal waters and feel the aches and exhaustion drain away. Now if only they offered in-water massages... ah, I don't think I could have left that place. 

Unfortunately the sun didn't emerge the entire time we were there, so the place took on a more gothic kind of feel, with the steam blending into the gray of the sky. All around us figures masked with silica mud slipped silently in and out the edges of our vision. A vast difference from my first Blue Lagoon experience back in 2010, but oddly beautiful in its own way.

No comments: