Saturday, May 16, 2015

Bali Bootcamp

We were in Bali for an intensive weekend of activities some time back - and as with most trips of mine, we wound up more tired than refreshed upon return to Singapore. But that's the whole point of travelling, right? To be able to experience things you can't in normal life - which, in my context, means getting down and dirty with Nature.

Naturally, diving topped the list of things we had to do. I was very excited to share this experience with Jared because I'd actually dived there for my Advanced Open Water course back in 2012, and had all sorts of amazing memories of it. In the days leading up to this latest trip I described to him in painstaking detail how marvelous the Tulamben wreck was and how the stunning coral garden blew me away.

It's funny how your emotions can shape your memories. Compared to real life, the Bali in my mind was more everything. The adrenaline rush of being on my second dive trip ever had imprinted images that I couldn't reconcile with the landscape now in front of me, three years later. Even as I drifted through the sites, in my mind's eye the walls were higher, the wrecks grander, the reefs livelier. 






We climbed Mt Batur too, a mountain that took longer to reach than to summit, no thanks to a horrendous traffic jam caused by a mile-long parade!

After all that hard work it was off to Tabanan, where we'd gotten a great deal on a 2-bedroom villa with a private pool. It looked exactly like how I'd want my house to be - all open concept with wood and stone finishing. 






Then we found time to zip around the village on ATVs - and by "we", I mean "everyone except me", because oddly enough for the only person in the group who has ridden a motorbike before, I was completely uncoordinated and came close to plunging into the rice paddy several times, albeit at three miles per hour.


Also - canyoning! Pretty much the coolest thing done this trip, if only because of the novelty factor.


No comments: