Friday, May 08, 2015

Canyoning in Bali


In Bali we decided to try something different from the usual beach-going activities. A search on the internet led us into the mountains, where we had the chance to try canyoning - which I guess is the collective name for all sorts of methods on getting from the top of a mountain to its base in the fastest time possible. These include leaping ten metres off rock faces and rappelling twenty metres through waterfalls. Slipping and sliding - sometimes unintentionally and thus painfully - also counts.


I remember lowering myself slowly as I strained against gravity, hands paying out the rope in a measured manner, pushing off the rocks with a mechanical one-two-one-two-rest tempo. Just as my feet touched down, there came a huge yahoo! from the top, and in the next two seconds the guide joined me at the bottom, having thrown his hands from the rope and free-fallen ten metres before catching the line right when it mattered. Did someone say fear?














All photos credit to the operator!

No comments: